Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Dear Lily, by Drew Davies

Dear Lily: An absolutely charming, emotional novel about learning to love and taking chances by [Davies, Drew]
I received this book from NetGalley and the publisher for the purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review: all conclusions are my own responsibility.
Joy, in her mid 30s is looking for a new life. She is tired of her boyfriend, her anxiety and depression, many of the things that used to comfort her (cigarettes, food and drink) and she is greatly tired of her job. She has asked to go to the Copenhagen office. As is her nature, Joy is overthinking each step of her life and she is sharing these details in letters to her sister, Lily. Through these letters the reader comes to care for Joy and the changes she is facing.
At first, she does not want to quit her bad habits thinking these changes are to difficult especially when everything else is changing. I found this book so funny as I followed Joy's changes. Joy was very well-written and the author was able to give her a voice and presence.
I do not usually enjoy books about women that are written by a man, but in this case, Drew Davies' writing was smooth and he created a character that feels real an I didn't feel the usually feeling of disappointment when the male perspective is very different from what I think it should be.

Be prepared to be engaged and to laugh when beginning this book

No comments:

Post a Comment